Thursday, July 1, 2010

Valencia 6/26 - 7/1

I have decided and Krystle agrees, we have too much stuff. Let alone the stuff in storage back in the U.S. collecting dust, our backpacks feel heavier each time we wear them.

So we arrived in Valencia from Denia without a guaranteed place to stay. We had a nice gal that had agreed to let us stay with her for Saturday night through Wednesday night, but no money had been exchanged yet. Well, she never responded and we arrived there without a room and on the one of the biggest weekend’s in the year for Valencia. There was a huge Formula 1 race this weekend and every hostal, hotel and spare closet was already booked. So with our 50 lbs bags we walked around looking for any room to rent. We were quite fortunate to find a hostal that had had a cancelation that day and had a open room! Amen!

Downtown Valencia!


Another cathedral


We watched the U.S. lose to Ghana, disappointing to say the least and yet infuriating to the core. However, Spain beat Chile and then Portugal to advance to the Quarter Finals! Go Spain! This has the Spaniards quite excited and this makes us happy because it means that the country is full of nicer people, or hopefully so.

House of God!

16th Century Bridge!!!

A sculpture of a wailing parisher, comical


Valencia is a beautiful city. It has some extravagant museums, especially the City of Arts and Sciences. There are also some amazing old churches and a large Cathedral in the center of town. Around the center of town is a dried river bed that has many soccer fields, walkways, parks, and recreational areas which allowed for a quiet escape from the big city.

Funny looking museums!



We walked around one of the huge Spanish superstores (similar to Macy’s, I guess) called Corte Ingles. Massive! Despite it being the country's only department store, in my opinion it is way over the top. But it provided a nice area of air conditioning during one of our walks around the city. We must have walked down every street in the downtown portion of the city and I am very thankful for the large quantity of benches.

We saw 2 large towers that were part of the original wall around the city. I want a castle.. I will be starting a fund and you can all invest in it :) We walked across some ancient bridges built in the 15th and 16th centuries.
2 towers remain from the original city walls


Where's Jordan?



Another funny sign :)


Next stop Barcelona!

3 comments:

  1. Great photos and commentary. Thanks for taking me along on your adventure around the globe. Did you see the America's Cup harbor? From the videos and photos I've seen, it's beautiful. Bring home that castle, after our Prez gets done with it, you'll be able to trade it straight even for a mobile home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few things...
    1. That statue of a wailing parishner is just creepy!
    2. The museums are awesome! They look like spaceships!
    3. I support the castle idea however, if I'm investing, I would like to reserve a wing of it for myself. I'm pretty sure our families would hardly ever run into each other in the size of castle I envision. haha! And I must mandate that one scuplture of a monkey be in the dining room and we use pink placemats...other than that, it's all yours. If we can agree to these terms, I'll be happy to invest. hee hee.
    Glad you guys are still having a good time and you found a place to stay. I love learning more about Spain. I wish I were there though!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok so I definitely was looking at the picture on TOP of the caption "where is Jordan?" for about 5 minutes trying to find him hahaha and then I realized it was for the picture right below it... :) ...glad you guys are having a fun time! we all miss you back home! stay safe! praying for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete