Thursday, August 19, 2010

Day 13 and 14

We met with the President of Patim today and it was to put it nicely a waste of time. Ultimately in my opinion, we spent 2 hours writing a mission statement for him, for what International Volunteering meant. He mooched our ideas and beliefs and then had a girl from our group write the notes he dictated so he could use them later. Needless to say, Weak.

I, Krystle lead my workshop on STDs.
This was very interesting to say the least.. I decided to talk about something I actually knew something about in English, so it would be a little bit easier in Spanish. And this was also one of the topics that was listed in the book we got. Anyway, I did some myths and facts about STD’s and had everyone write if they thought they were true or false. It was very interesting to me how many of them they got wrong. It was actually pretty sad. In the first group, of course, they wanted to argue all of them. In the group at the treatment center, a few of the people told me that they learned a lot after my presentation. That was rewarding at least.
So after the myths and facts, and then talking about all of them in detail. I had a few pictures of STD’s and had them guess which ones they were. This was disgusting as well as funny at how they were disgusted. Jordan didn’t even want to look at them, but for me it was no big deal because I have already seen them all in books, and I have seen a lot worse. Anyway, all of the groups seemed pretty interested and it seemed to go well for the most part. Of course during the discussion, Amaya took over part of that, and when people had questions for me, Sanja had to translate. It was a success overall, and I was very happy to be done when it was over.

No comments:

Post a Comment